PALS and Complaints

We welcome your compliments, comments and complaints.

The CCG is continually looking at ways to improve health services and make the best use of limited NHS resources for the people of St Helens.

We welcome compliments (positive feedback) about services but also believe that receiving comments, concerns and complaints from service users is important. Concerns, comments or complaints can help us to solve problems, learn lessons, and lead to service improvements.

We would like to hear from you if you think we have done something well or if you have suggestions on how we could do something differently. Equally, we want to know if you are unhappy with the service provided or have a complaint.

If your compliment, complaint or concern is about a GP, dentist, pharmacy or optician, you should contact:

  • The practice manager at the surgery you received the service from; or
  • NHS England
    PO Box 16738
    B97 9PT

    Tel No: 0300 311 22 33 Image: Email Icon

If you would like to make a complaint, send a compliment, or speak to someone about any other service, please contact the CCG's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on (Freephone) 0800 218 2333 Or in writing to:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service, Customer Solutions Centre, Midlands & Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit (CSU), 3rd Floor Bevan House, 65 Stephenson Way, Liverpool, Merseyside, L13 1HN

Or via E-mail:

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

You should make a complaint within 12 months of the event(s) concerned or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about. However, it is much easier to deal with your complaint if it is made as soon as possible after the event.

How will the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) handle my complaint?

The first stage of the Complaints Procedure is called Local Resolution. Your complaint should be made in the first instance to the NHS organisation or primary care practitioner providing the service alternatively you can make your complaint to the service commissioner.  You can raise your complaint immediately by speaking to the member of staff (e.g. doctor, nurse, GP, dentist, pharmacist or the PALS). It may be that your concerns can be resolved without making a formal complaint. However if you do wish to pursue a complaint you can do this in writing, verbally, face to face or by email to the primary care practitioner, NHS organisation concerned or commissioner of the service. If you wish to complain directly to the CCG about a service they commission, they will liaise with the provider of the service and will ensure that your complaint is investigated and a response is received in a timely manner. If you choose to make your complaint verbally a member of the complaints team will put this in writing for you. You will be given the opportunity to discuss your concerns with a member of the Complaints Team and say what you would like as an outcome.

The timescale for the response will be agreed with you and you will receive a written reply to confirm the outcome of the investigation into your complaint. Following an investigation into your complaint you will be sent a formal response from our Chief Officer, including an explanation of our consideration of your complaint, an honest explanation, conclusions that we have reached in respect of your complaint, any remedial action that is considered to be appropriate and confirmation that the action has been taken or that it will be actioned.